I’m disgusted with the LDS Church’s lawyers, lobbyists, and PR personnel. Why can’t the Church leadership look at issues from a Christ-centered perspective and do what’s right? Tithing money is being wasted, and for the most part, these consultants are serving the Church poorly.
The following are NOT issues to be wasting the Church’s resources and reputation on:
- Religious freedom, the world views this issue as the Church wanting the right to discriminate. And they’re probably right. Didn’t we learn anything from our racial discrimination against blacks?
- LGBTQ issues, this cultural war has fortunately been lost, the Church needs to stop discriminating. If there is a hereafter, I’m sure the Lord will sort this out. We should be supporting loving relationships, not promoting celibacy.
- Legalizing medical marijuana in Utah, there are so many more important issues. And if marijuana helps patients in pain, it is cruel to withhold it (or make patients drive to Colorado or Nevada). The 20+ excuses, for not legalizing medical marijuana, was little more than the Church’s lawyers running up their billable hours.
The following are issues that the Church leadership should be engaged in”
- Empowering women,
- Rooting out sexual harassment and abuse, and
- Helping the poor and disenfranchised.
And these activities don’t require a lot of lawyers, lobbyists, and spin-doctors.
I think for above changes to occur, President Eyring and Elders Uchtdorf and Holland need to take the lead. President (and lawyer) Oaks needs to take a back seat. And the Church leadership needs to come clean on the money it is spending on lawyers, lobbyist, and spin-doctors.