Ngamba Chimpanzee Sanctuary, Uganda’s Jurassic Park

Last Sunday, I traveled to the Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary in Lake Victory, near Entebbe, Uganda.  I really didn’t know what to expect; I had done little preparation.

After a half-hour boat journey, we arrived at the island.  After a brief introduction, our guide left us some free time before our encounter with the chimps.  To my surprise, Dr. Jane Goodall was also on the small island.  We joined a brief celebration of her 80th birthday.

The island–a refuge for chimps that cannot be returned to the wild–is 95 percent chimp habitat; the remaining 5 percent is the visitor center and sanctuary infrastructure.  Separating the two areas is a fence system worthy of “Jurassic Park.”

An Aerial Photograph Showing the Two Parts of the Island.

An Aerial Photograph Showing the Two Parts of the Island.

The security system, which includes a double fence complete with DMZ, is very impressive.  It is designed to keep the chimps in their 95 percent of the island.

Fencing System Separating the Chimp Habitat from the Island Infrastructure

Fencing System Separating the Chimp Habitat from the Island Infrastructure

During the introductory presentation, we were shown the place we were to assemble in case of an emergency (chimp invasion?) and told that during an extreme emergency we should seek refuge in the lake.  An interesting possibility given that the island is also a refuge large monitor lizards.

A 6'-Long Monitor Lizard on Ngamba Island

A 6′-Long Monitor Lizard on Ngamba Island

At 11 am, we headed up to watch the chimps being fed.  We were told that there are 42 on the island and they are fed 4 times a day.  The food at 11 was largely fruit which was tossed over the 15′-high inner fence.

Feeding Time at the Ngamba Sanctuary

Feeding Time at the Ngamba Sanctuary

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Environment, great apes, Science, Travel, uganda. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Ngamba Chimpanzee Sanctuary, Uganda’s Jurassic Park

  1. garyjonmoore says:

    Thanks for sharing – and your photos are wonderful. I hope to get there at some stage while I’m in Uganda, although I’m already planning a trip to Queen Elizabeth,

  2. Pingback: Sunday in Outer Blogness: BoM DNA edition!! » Main Street Plaza

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s